The Program for the Family
The Dunes Case Management Program (DCM) is a one year post discharge recovery maintenance program designed to lend maximum assistance to clients and their families (as appropriate) so clients successfully transition from the residential recovery environment back into everyday life. By documenting client outcomes, during the process, we are confident in DCM’s ability to place long term recovery within each client’s reach and thus help families become whole again.
Goals of DCM
- Help families support their loved ones, who are in recovery, to help ensure Dunes clients succeed with their continuing care plan.
- Help families contribute to clients strengthening the foundation of recovery established in treatment at The Dunes.
- Offer clients and family long term structure and accountability so families can learn to side-step enabling behaviors and help foster long term client recovery.
- Identify relapse behavior before an actual relapse occurs and train families to do the same and take appropriate steps to help minimize the chances of a relapse.
- Should a relapse occur, help the family understand how to best participate in possibly shortening the relapse episode and assist the patient into the appropriate level of care.
- Track and document client outcomes to assist the clinical team in supporting client recovery and, when needed, provide families with third party documentation that validates their continuing client recovery.
DCM provides clients, families, advocates, and The Dunes clinical team with what is essentially a blueprint for each client’s re-introduction back into day-to-day addiction-free living. Issues raised in treatment as well as specific goals for recovery such as an introduction into a 12 step recovery program, seeing a therapist, or going back to work will be addressed during DCM sessions which are held according to a pre-agreed upon schedule.
The primary goal is to maintain an accurate, real-time “snapshot” of each Dunes client’s progress creating an “evergreen” recovery progress report which helps the clinical team stay completely current with each client’s progress allowing them to give each client and family the tailored and individualized support central to The Dunes recovery philosophy.
By carefully reviewing progress in real time the advocate and clinical team are able to help the family with practical information and guidance based on their particular loved one’s case and how it is progressing. This individualized approach maintains structure and accountability in the client recovery process by helping family members understand how to most productively participate in the recovery process.
Removes family from the role of monitor or “police” which helps remove stress and conflict from relationships helping the family to heal and find greater satisfaction in life.
Helps establish positive communication, set boundaries, limitations, and defines consequences which brings clarity to the family’s relationship with their recovering family member—enhances structure and accountability in the recovery process which in turn enhances the chances of a successful long term recovery.
Identifies relapse behavior before actual relapse occurs and helps educate family members to identify signs of future relapse when it is still early enough to take appropriate action—then the DCM team is able to guide the family in taking the proper steps in an effort to help their loved one avoid a relapse episode.
DCM identifies client family needs and refers them to local resources for support and assistance as appropriate (e.g. Al-Anon, therapists, legal resources, financial, and other professional services)—guidance designed to raise the quality of family life while aiming to detoxify family relationships that active addiction so often spoil.
Provides family members with regular client contact and updates helping them understand what is happening with the recovery of their family member while taking the drama out of relationships that were so often negatively charged by the damage active addiction brought to the family.
Gives families piece of mind by improving their loved ones’ potential for long term recovery.