Would you like to eat healthier during recovery but you don’t necessarily want to be stuck eating “rabbit food”? Eating well means eating a variety of foods and having a balanced diet. It doesn’t mean that you follow any type of crash diet or decide that certain foods or groups of foods are “bad” and never eat them. Food is meant to be interesting and enjoyable, and it’s important to keep this in mind when choosing healthy recipes for addiction recovery.
Tomato And Avocado Salad – Healthy Recipe In Addiction Recovery
This Tomato and Avocado Salad is a quick and easy way to enjoy a unique salad without fussing with all the greens. Try making this bright, colorful salad with local tomatoes as soon as they are available. The sooner you can get them from the vine to your table, the better they taste!
This recipe calls for za’atar, which is a Middle Eastern spice that is made of oregano, thyme and sesame seeds. You can find it in Middle Eastern specialty stores. If you can’t find this particular spice, you could experiment with substituting a teaspoon each of oregano, thyme and sesame seeds to make up one tablespoon of za’atar. You will still have a delicious salad to enjoy.
4 stem tomatoes, sliced
1 Tbsp of za’atar
1 avocado, cubed
Juice of 1 lemon
Handful of Kalamata olives, sliced
Handful of sliced scallions
1 Tbsp fresh basil, sliced in ribbons
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Feta cheese, crumbled to taste
- Slice tomatoes and place them on a plate or a low serving tray. Sprinkle with the za’atar (or substitution spices).
- Toss the avocado slices and lemon juice together in a bowl. Once they are mixed, pour the avocado on top of the tomato slices.
- Sprinkle the chopped Kalamata olives and scallions on top of the avocado.
- Top the olives and scallions with fresh basil. Drizzle the extra virgin olive oil over the top.
- Sprinkle the Feta cheese on top. Serve immediately.
Addiction Recovery Nutrition And Healthful Dining
One of the features that The Dunes East Hampton has to offer clients is our varied and sophisticated addiction recovery nutrition menu. We believe that the right nutrition is part of an overall recovery plan that helps to build self-sufficiency and confidence. Contact us today to learn about our healthful dining and customized treatment programs for you or a loved one!