Health and nutrition is vital for those in recovery. Many people who have struggled with addiction have not been used to eating well when they were actively using. It’s important to make a point of eating high-quality foods in recovery to ensure that every calorie counts in your drug recovery health nutrition!
Healthy Carrot Cake Balls For Drug Recovery Health Nutrition
Do you enjoy the taste of carrot cake but figure you could do without the fat and calories in this sweet treat? These carrot cake balls prove that you can satisfy your sweet tooth and give you some protein to help you stay full until your next meal without loading up on calories. Each one gives you 3.3 grams of protein, and at only 88 calories each, you can afford to eat a couple of them when you feel a mid-afternoon slump coming on. If you enjoy something sweet in the morning and want to take a holistic approach to recovery, you can have some of them with your favorite morning beverage for a quick breakfast.
This recipe is chock full of good things, including nuts, oats, and dates. No cooking is required, so even if you are a newbie in the kitchen you can whip up a batch of them in your food processor.
Carrot Cake Protein Balls
1 cup raw cashews
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup dates
4 ounces unsweetened applesauce
1 serving vanilla plant-based protein powder (about 35 grams)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1 carrot, grated
1/2 cup pecans (or walnuts)
1/3 cup rolled in unsweetened coconut
- Add the cashews, oats, dates, applesauce, protein powder, and spices to the food processor. Turn on until a choppy dough forms, several minutes.
- Add the grated carrot and pecans until thoroughly mixed. The dough will appear slightly sticky.
- Pour unsweetened shredded coconut into a bowl.
- Roll dough into balls, roll each one in the coconut, and place on a clean cookie sheet.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to set. Store uneaten balls in an airtight container in the fridge.
We ensure that all of our clients get the benefits from high quality nutrition in our drug and alcohol addiction treatment programs. Call us today to learn more!
Follow The Dunes NY Healthy Recipes Pinterest Board Today!