Once you complete drug and alcohol rehab, a new journey begins. It can be scary and exciting all at once. It’s crucial that you have an aftercare prevention plan that details how you intend to maintain sobriety in the weeks and months ahead.
When you reside in addiction treatment programs, the environment around you is sober and supportive. This makes it easier to avoid temptation and make healthy choices. But as you re-enter society where things aren’t as structured, it can be more difficult to stay sober. There are pressures, stresses and relapse triggers that can tempt you to use again.
Fortunately, there are steps you can take to help yourself maintain sobriety and get the most from your recovery. It won’t always be easy, but every day that you get through is another step in the right direction.
Helpful Tips For Staying Sober With an Aftercare Prevention Plan
Let’s go over some tips to help you maintain long term sobriety.
- Take things slow – It’s easy to feel overwhelmed by all the changes in your life. Take things one day at a time – minute by minute if you have to.
- Don’t overdo yourself – It’s possible that you’re feeling great right now because your body is free of drugs. But be careful not to take on too much responsibility, as this can lead to feelings of stress and anxiety.
- Make new friends – People who are still involved with drugs and alcohol should be avoided. Instead, strengthen friendships with the people who support your recovery.
- Find hobbies to prevent boredom – Now that you aren’t spending your time using drugs or alcohol, you need to fill your time with other activities. Try the park district or library for free or low-cost programs. Volunteer your time at a local soup kitchen or animal shelter. Take up a hands-on activity like knitting or painting.
- Believe in yourself – Keep a positive mindset and know that sobriety is within reach. While not everything will work in your favor at all times, simply believing that something can happen makes it more possible that it will. This holistic approach will keep your mind and spirit on track during recovery.
- Follow your aftercare plan – Your treatment center provided you with an aftercare plan that you should be following. Included in your plan are recommendations for attending 12-step groups, alternative therapies to practice in times of stress and antidepressants or anti-anxiety medication for a dual diagnosis.
The Dunes East Hampton provides each of our clients with a detailed aftercare plan. If you would like to learn more about our holistic luxury rehab center and how we help our clients maximize their success in recovery, please call us today. Long term sobriety is within reach.