Rehabilitation clinics are not what they used to be. Checking into such a facility – whether for a gambling addiction, drug issue or eating disorder – no longer carries the same stigma it did a decade ago. In fact, when celebrities are admitted to these facilities, the media often barely registers on the deeper tabloid pages.
Aside from the social aspect, it is the atmosphere within these rehabilitation centers that has changed most. In the past, these facilities often catered to a bare-bones approach; forcing patients to reside in a minimalist, sterile, hospital-like state of bland. Heck, Betty Ford patients were once even forced to participate in daily chores throughout the recovery process!
Today’s rehab clinics no longer require patients to scrub floors and toilets. Rather, most facilities actually emphasize a state of luxury, complete with seasoned medical staff, exotic activities and gourmet chefs.
Celebrity Rehab Clinics vs. Luxury Rehab
Addicts seeking serious help may want to avoid “celebrity rehabilitation clinics”. Designed with the intent of providing weighted-name individuals seclusion and comfort, many of these facilities are actually nothing more than vacation or spa retreats. That is not to say there are no celebrity rehabilitation facilities providing actual clinical and medical care; it’s just important to research your options prior to making a commitment.
Financial Considerations When Choosing A Luxury Rehab
Perhaps the largest difference between an upscale treatment facility and traditional residential program is cost. In general, a luxury recovery will require more funds than your average bear. However, considering the extra amenities, isolated location, medical staff and activities, the associated costs are well worth the investment.
Patients considering a stay in luxury rehab must make certain that the costs can be covered before check in. Complicating any recovery with financial stressors is one of the most sure-fire ways to ensure relapse.
Recovery from addiction – luxury facility or not – is no walk in the park. In order to be successful, patients must participate and involve themselves to the fullest extent. The following will help you to get the most out of and thrive during the rehab experience:
- Understand that if you do not take responsibility for your actions during recovery, then nobody will.
- Commit yourself to the recovery process by going to therapy, reading any necessary literature and taking medication as instructed.
- Surrender to the idea that you are out of control, disabled or addicted. Locate someone within the program whom you feel comfortable communicating with, whether patient or mentor.
- Listen to your feelings and clear your mind. You WILL survive. Know this.
- Communicate with your counselor, psychologist and sponsor regularly. Keep a journal of your struggles and triumphs to reflect on when times are tough.