Healing from addiction takes time, but an individualized treatment plan can make true addiction recovery possible. Specifically, holistic addiction treatment can be highly effective for those striving to break free of alcohol or drugs. Read on to learn what it is, how it may help and what it might involve.
What Is Holistic Addiction Treatment?
Holistic addiction treatment includes interventions for the mind, body, and spirit. It treats people as individuals and includes therapies geared toward their specific needs. As a result, each holistic program is slightly different, but typically includes counseling, group therapy and detox plus a host of custom-tailored alternative therapies.
Getting the Biggest Benefit from Your Recovery Experience
Holistic recovery offers a number of potential benefits, including:
- Support for mental health: Stress, trauma and mental health disorders often contribute to addiction. Holistic treatment addresses these potential underlying causes of substance abuse.
- Opportunities to connect with your body: Through holistic interventions, you can become more aware of how you experience emotions and stress in various parts of your body. By focusing on these areas and consciously relaxing, you may be able to better control emotional responses in the future.
- A self-care experience: Becoming comfortable with yourself and forgiving yourself for past actions is an important part of healing from addiction. Holistic interventions allow you to practice self-care and can play a role in building a stronger connection with yourself.
- Start of good habits: Many holistic interventions can be continued after treatment ends as a part of an aftercare program for dealing with triggers and addressing challenging behaviors. As a result, they may reduce the risk of relapse.
- Chance for self-discovery: Through holistic addiction treatment, you may discover new talents or awaken passions that you didn’t previously have. After treatment ends, you may have new forms of self-expression or hobbies to pursue, both of which can help you better manage stress in the future.
Types of Holistic Practices for Addiction Recovery
The following are some of the therapies and practices that may be included in a holistic addiction recovery program.
Acupuncture and Acupressure
Acupuncture is an ancient Chinese healing tradition meant to alter energy flow through the body by inserting small needles in specific areas known as acupoints. Acupressure follows the same principles as Acupuncture but uses pressure instead of needles. This form of energy medicine may reduce physical pain, alleviate stress and ease anxiety. It may also provide relief from withdrawal symptoms.
Meditation involves quieting your mind and focusing on visual imagery or your breath. It can have a dramatic effect on stress levels and cultivate inner peace and self-awareness.
Reiki is a healing tradition that means “universal life energy.” During a reiki session, a therapist transfers energy into the body through touch. At the Dunes, many clients report reductions in physical withdrawal symptoms as well as spiritual and mental distress after reiki sessions.
Art therapy encourages you to express your thoughts, feelings and emotions through works of art. You might draw, paint, sculpt or create collages to explore past traumas, examine your relationship with drugs and alcohol and reflect on other elements of your life.
Exercise is beneficial for the body and the mind. Regular exercise has been shown to alleviate symptoms of stress, anxiety and depression. It can also help to improve sleep, which can be highly beneficial when you’re undergoing treatment for addiction.
Yoga is an ancient Indian practice that involves moving through a series of poses while breathing rhythmically. Many people find yoga deeply relaxing and rejuvenating. In addition, yoga builds muscle strength and flexibility to benefit the body.
Equine-assisted therapy involves using horses as an opportunity to reflect on yourself, heal from past pains and grow emotionally and spiritually. With the help of a certified therapist, you gain practice in problem-solving, communicating, asserting yourself, and more.
Getting your thoughts and feelings down on paper can be a powerful release. Many people also benefit from composing short stories and poetry during organized writing workshop sessions where you share your work and give and receive feedback.
Choosing Holistic Addiction Treatment Centers
At the Dunes East Hampton, we take an individualized holistic approach to addiction treatment. In addition to providing complementary treatment for mental health conditions like depression and anxiety, we use energy medicine and the other holistic treatments outlined above to address the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual dimensions of addiction. Take the first steps toward a better life by contacting us today to learn more about our holistic addiction recovery program.