The holiday season is a time for feasting, and most of us indulge in all kinds of fat and calorie-laden treats and desserts at this festive time of year. But whether we’re in recovery or not, it’s still a good idea to watch what we eat, while enjoying ourselves.
If you are looking for something that will satisfy your sweet tooth but has a bit less sugar, we have the recipe for you! This delicious apple crumb cake is packed with the goodness of apples and sweet cinnamon, and a crumb topping to give it just the right finish. To give this tasty dessert a hint of decadence, drizzle each serving with some caramel sauce right before serving.
Delicious Apple Crumb Cake
This recipe makes 8-10 servings.
¾ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
⅛ teaspoon baking soda
⅛ teaspoon salt
¼ cup + 2 Tablespoons of milk
¾ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¼ cup + 2 teaspoons vegetable or canola oil
1 large egg
2 or 3 medium apples, washed, peeled, cored and sliced (Try Red Delicious and Golden Delicious)
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar (separate from above)
½ teaspoons ground cinnamon (separate from above)
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
⅓ cup packed light brown sugar
⅓ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 and ½ cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prepare an 8” round springform* pan by greasing and flouring the same. Set it aside.
*If you don’t have a springform pan, you can use a same size cake pan lined w/ greased parchment. When it’s cooled, turn it upside down on plastic wrap, then right-side up on a flat surface.
To Prepare Topping:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar and granulated sugar, flour, salt and cinnamon. Add the melted butter and fluff with a fork until the mixture becomes crumbly. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, toss apple slices with two Tablespoons of sugar, and one Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Set it aside.
To Make the Cake:
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together these ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a large measuring cup or a separate bowl, mix together your wet ingredients: milk, oil, egg and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones, stirring to combine with a wooden spoon. Take care not to over mix. A few lumps in the batter are to be expected and are fine.
- Pour the cake batter in the prepared pan.
- Arrange the apple slices over the cake batter.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping over the apples until they are completely covered.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
- Leave the cake in the pan until it is completely cool.
- Transfer it onto a serving plate. Slice it into individual pieces and serve.
Cake will keep in a covered container up to four days.
At The Dunes East Hampton, we know that a healthy diet and home cooked meals are an important part of addiction recovery.